When I was in Chiropractic school they told us that the first sign of heart disease was DEATH! Wow…that’s not cool. Somehow that didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, your body is designed to live well and function at optimum so if something like heart disease was developing surely there would be some signs or symptoms that would happen. Right? Well medical research has show that heart disease is so elusive and very difficult to know when it’s developing. But then I learned a very interesting fact from a mentor on a very uncommon sign, often overlooked, for developing heart disease. Learning this one sign may save your life or a loved one’s.
Here’s what he taught me (by Dr. Vic Frank – founder of Total Body Modification): there’s a phenomenon in your body called “cardiac low back” where low back pain occurs as a result of a lowered functioning heart. Here’s what’s going on…your body instinctively knows that any further exertion will increase the stress load on the heart. That is not a good thing! So if you experience low back pain you’re most likely to not increase your stress load by over exertion. What do most people do when they get a sore back? They REST!
Here’s the thing though, most people just try to address their low back pain rather than asking “why is this low back pain happening?”
How to analyze your bodily symptoms
Here’s what I always recommend in any situation where you feel your body “out of balance.”
If your bodily symptoms are not caused by trauma (that you know of), most likely where you may be “feeling” symptoms is not what’s really causing it. So in this situation, low back pain that you may be feeling is not really coming from the low back. (I know, crazy huh?)
This usually happens over time, you just feel your low back starting to ache…then it develops into a full blown sore back. You try massage, medications, pain patches, stretching, maybe even getting worked on by a chiropractor, but the pain is still there. Then maybe you go get X-rays or MRI…but it comes back completely “clean.” This leaves you completely frustrated!
As a chiropractor, I know this has left me frustrated not knowing what was specifically going on. That is until I learned about “cardiac low back” – the back pain was not coming from the back, but rather a signal that the heart needs attention!
Plan of Action
So if this sounds like you there are a few things you need to do…
- Get your blood pressure checked (There’s a specific way you’ll need to read your blood pressure…stay tuned for further posts on that).
- Get some lab work done (the 3 lab tests you need to get)
- Insist to have a stress test done & EKG. If your stress levels are very high, it may be beneficial to run a salivary hormonal panel to take a look at your overall cortisol levels.
- Analyze your stress levels
Then after you see where you stand…here’s your next steps
- Learn to manage your stress levels (stay tuned for our podcast on managing your stress levels)
- Detoxify (I recommend usually detoxing at least 2 times per year)
- Proper diet – this should consist of 80% plant based, 20% animal based. Consuming healthy fats such as nuts, avocado, small cold water fishes and flax seed.
- Supplementation – Magnesium, Vit A, C, E. Balancing pH levels.
- Exercise – stay tuned for a blog post on how you should exercise
Wrapping it Up
So there you have it: low back pain can often be a sign of an underlying heart condition. Don’t let this go. It’s a sign that you need to do something. Take action now!
Not many people know of this, but I’ve seen thousands of people who have been saved from a heart attack because they caught it early as it was manifesting as low back pain. Share this post with your friends and family members. You may have someone who is getting treated for low back pain which may be a sign of early onset heart disease.
To get these blog posts delivered to your email inbox as they’re published make sure you subscribe to the blog!
If you feel that we’re bringing you valuable information please feel free to make a contribution to the site! We have lots more that we want to deliver to the world and any help is much appreciated!
Latest posts by Dr. Mike Okouchi (see all)
- Episode 61: How to Choose a Nutritional Supplement - August 8, 2018
- Episode 60: The 5 Overlooked Causes of Low Back Pain - August 1, 2018
- The primary systems of body control - November 26, 2017